Homemade Pita Bread
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast or active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 teaspoon sugar
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the yeast, water, sugar, and 3 cups of the flour to form a sponge. Let the sponge rest for 10 minutes. Mix in the salt and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of flour a little at a time until the dough forms a nice ball. Knead on a medium speed for 5 minutes. It should get nice and smooth, shiny, and elastic.
- Use the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to oil a large bowl. Roll the dough in the oil, put it in the bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 500 degrees with a baking stone (if you don't have one, just put a baking sheet in the middle).
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll into 8-inch rounds. Let the rounds rise for 20 min. Just before cooking, roll each piece out into an 8-inch circle.
- Cook in batches 2 at a time on the baking stone. They should puff up and brown in 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and wrap them in a clean dish towel and put them in a plastic bag to keep them soft and pliable.