How to Make Authentic Beer Braised Carnitas
- 3 to 5-pound Pork Butt or Shoulder Roast
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided use
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces Mexican beer
- 1 large orange sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Trim roast and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Preheat a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and sear meat, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine spices and sprinkle over pork. Pour beer over meat and spices. Top with orange slices.
- Braise in the 350-degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the meat can easily be shredded with a fork. Remove orange slices. Shred meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Work in 3 batches and use tongs to place the meat into the oil and saute until crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in more oil for each batch. Serve hot.