How to make Classic Shakshuka
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion diced
1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
1 jalapeno minced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
30 ounces canned diced tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-safe heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and saute 5 to 7 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add in garlic, cumin, and paprika and toast for 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Continue at a simmer for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees while you wait.
- Create 6 little nests in the tomato mixture to hold the eggs. Crack eggs into prepared holes.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and cook until eggs whites are set, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving. Serve hot with sliced bread or flat bread.